Do you have a passion for outdoor education and learning outside the classroom? Do you dream of learning how to lead your own outdoor sessions in a woodland environment?
If you are interested in enhancing your skills to lead groups in a woodland environment, training to become a Woodland Activity Leader will provide you with the learning and knowledge you require. Woodland Activity Leader Training is an accredited outdoor learning course and an alternative to forest school training.
The General Teaching Council of Scotland has accredited Woodland Activity Leader Training with professional recognition. Teachers from across Scotland attending our Woodland Activity Leader Training can apply for GTCS professional recognition, towards their continued professional development, upon successful completion of the course.
Accredited as a Level 2 Award, Woodland Activity Leader Training is a practical training course, filled with inspirational ideas and activities, that will provide you with the skills required to be a confident outdoor educator.
Our students will learn the legal roles and requirements of safely leading groups of both adults and children in a woodland environment, in addition to:
- Practical bushcraft skills, including fire lighting, knife craft, knots and shelter building
- Conservation activities and the leave no trace philosophy
- Naturalist skills, including plant identification, and animal tracks and signs
- How to safely and sustainably forage and prepare wild food
- Discovering new activities and games to create inspiring, engaging sessions
- Creation of appropriate session plans
- The confidence required to lead groups in a woodland environment
- Understanding the dynamic risk assessment requirements for leading woodland activity sessions
Wild things! will also provide guidance for our future woodland leaders on a variety of different resources and methodologies for creating and delivering the best possible outdoor learning sessions. All you need to bring is your enthusiasm, love of the outdoors, and a willingness to explore and discover new skills.
This course is for anyone and everyone who wants to lead environmental education and outdoor learning sessions, or facilitate positive nature experiences for children, young people or adults. Whether this is as a parent, as an outdoor enthusiast or in a professional capacity. The following is a sample of professions some of our previous WALT graduates were employed in:
- Teaching Assistants
- Nursery Practitioners
- Social Workers
- Wildlife Guides
- Outdoor Instructors
- Adventure Activity Instructors
The course is structured over 48 guided learning hours with an additional 6 hours of home study. It is delivered in one of the following configurations:
- 1 x seven day block
- 2 x blocks: four days and two days
- 3 x blocks: of two-day weekends
Assessments are a combination of practical and written tasks. If you have any additional requirements to enable to fulfil either of these please Contact Us to discuss how we can best support you.
Wild things! provide all necessary equipment, tools, and learning resources.
Instruction and supervision is provided by our qualified and experienced Wild things! activity leaders. Maximum group size is 10 participants. Emergency Transport (4-wheel drive vehicle) is always available.
We have a selection of excellent venues for delivery of our Woodland Activity Leader Training courses this year:
- Wild things! is based in Findhorn Village Centre, where our head office is located in FIndhorn. There are wonderful on site facilities, with access to the incredible woodlands at nearby Culbin Forest and Sanquhar Woods for the practical and outdoor sessions.
- Blairvadach Outdoor Centre is the Glasgow City Council education services centre for outdoor education. It is located in Helensburgh, surrounded by the incredible mountain scenery and vast wilderness areas of Argyll.
Our Woodland Activity Leader Training is from just £525 for the full course. The course fee includes tuition, assessment, registration fees, and all necessary materials. This fee does not include accommodation or any meals. We can supply a list of nearby accommodation for each venue if required.
Select your chosen course from the dates and options listed above and complete the online booking form and make payment to confirm your place.
Please feel free to Contact Us for additional information, or if you wish to pay a deposit to secure your booking.