Coastal Activity Leader Training is an accredited outdoor education and leader training course, developed specifically for our vast stretches of wonderful beaches and coastlines. Learn to confidently lead Beach School and Coastal Classroom sessions.
Accredited as a Level 2 Award, Coastal Activity Leader Training is a course designed to inspire students to lead groups of children, young people and adults in the coastal environment. Participants who complete the course will be given the skills to feel confident in the exploration, discovery and conservation of the wild marine environment.
During the course students will gain coastal bushcraft skills, increase their coastal naturalist knowledge, discover new seashore activities and learn the basic health and safety requirements required to lead groups and outdoor learning sessions in this unique and dynamic environment.
This course is normally £525, however we are delighted to be able to offer it for £470 for a limited time.
Coastal Activity Leader students will learn the legal roles and requirements of leading outdoor learning sessions with groups of both adults and children in a coastal environment, in addition to:
- How to identify seaweeds and their uses
- Confidence in leading outdoor activity sessions in coastal environments
- Be able to inspire different groups with appropriate coastal education games
- Learning how to write inspiring session plans
- Foraging and preparing wild food from the coast
- Coastal bushcraft skills, including traditional fire lighting, knots and tools
- Conservation activities (and the leave no trace philosophy)
- Coastal naturalist knowledge, including ethnobotany and conservation
- The tools required to manage the dynamics of outdoor education in an ever changing environment
- Learning to survey for cetaceans (dolphins, whales and porpoises)
Wild things! will also provide guidance for our future coastal activity leaders on a variety of different resources and methodologies for creating and delivering the best possible outdoor learning sessions.
This course is for anyone and everyone who wants to lead environmental education and outdoor learning sessions, or facilitate positive nature experiences for children, young people or adults. Whether this is as a parent, as an outdoor enthusiast or in a professional capacity. The following is a sample of professions some of our previous CALT graduates were employed in:
- Teaching Assistants
- Social Workers
- Wildlife Guides
- Adventure Activity Instructors
- Outdoor Instructors
The course is structured over 48 guided learning hours with an additional 6 hours of home study. It is delivered over the space of 7 days.
Assessments are a combination of practical and written tasks. If you have any additional requirements to enable to fulfil either of these please Contact Us to discuss how we can best support you.
Wild things! provide all necessary equipment, tools, and learning resources.
Instruction and supervision is provided by our qualified and experienced Wild things! activity leaders. Maximum group size is 12 participants. Emergency Transport (4-wheel drive vehicle) is always available.
We have a selection of excellent venues for delivery of our Coastal Activity Leader Training courses this year:
- Wild things! is based in Findhorn Village Centre, where our head office is located in FIndhorn. There are wonderful on site facilities, with access to the incredible woodlands at nearby Culbin Forest and Sanquhar Woods for the practical and outdoor sessions.
- The Ecology Centre is located at Kinghorn Loch in Fife, with wonderful on-site facilities and access to the wonderful natural environment at Kinghorn Loch and surrounding woodlands of the East Neuk of Fife.
Our Coastal Activity Leader Training is just £525 for the full course. The course fee includes tuition, assessment, registration fees, and all necessary materials. The fee does not include accommodation or any meals. We can supply a list of nearby accommodation for each venue if required.
Select your chosen course from the dates and options listed above and complete the online booking form and make payment to confirm your place.
Please feel free to Contact Us for additional information, or if you wish to pay a deposit to secure your booking.
Kit List for All CALT Courses
- Waterproof Outer Layers
- Appropriate layers of warm and cool clothing for the changeable Scottish weather
- Walking boots/shoes and wellies for outdoor activities
- Any reference books you would like to share with the group
- A water bottle and/or flask
- A packed lunch and snacks
- Your love and enthusiasm for the outdoors!
- Outdoor sessions will be held in one of the wonderful nearby coastal areas to the course location. Breaks will be scattered throughout each day. Lunch is 45 minutes and we recommend bringing a packed lunch. If you would rather treat yourself to lunch there are several wonderful places to eat nearby: we can provide information on these if required.
The Coastal Activity Leader Training course has been accredited by NCFE. The assessments for each course are internally verified by our own experienced team of instructors and externally verified by NCFE.
This course has been accredited under Wild things! Environmental Education in Action’s IIQ licence and we have benchmarked the course’s learning outcomes at Level 2 to allow students to consider the difficulty and depth of study.
On completion of this course, learners will receive a certificate of achievement from NCFE through our IIQ licence. This certificate of achievement is not a nationally regulated qualification.
“This may well be one of the most inspiring courses I have ever done. I can’t wait to get out and use this.” Course Participant
“Wild things! does for environmental education what Ray Mears has done for bush craft, and Bear Grylls has done for survival training. The bonus is that you will not only learn new skills for yourself, you will also learn how to pass them on and in a way that sustains and encourages others to enjoy and sustain our natural environment.” Course Participant
“Wow, what a wealth of knowledge, skills, resources and experiences I had over the course of the week. This course has fully delivered and more.” Course Participant
“The knowledge of seaweeds and plants was exactly what I was looking for.” Course Participant