Do you have a passion for outdoor learning and education? Do you dream of learning how to lead outdoor sessions in a woodland environment?
If you are interested in enhancing your skills to lead groups in a woodland environment, training to become a Woodland Activity Leader will provide you with the learning and knowledge you require. while gaining the accreditation of a Level 2 Award. Woodland Activity Leader Training is an accredited outdoor learning course and an alternative to forest school training.
The General Teaching Council of Scotland has accredited Woodland Activity Leader Training with professional recognition. Teachers from across Scotland attending our Woodland Activity Leader Training can apply for GTCS professional recognition, towards continued professional development, upon successful completion of the course.
A limited number of EarlyBird places are available on WALT courses, with a 10% Discount, until the end of January. This is on a first-come first-served basis.
Our students will learn the legal roles and requirements of safely leading groups of both adults and children in a woodland environment, in addition to:
- Practical bushcraft skills, including fire lighting, knife craft, knots and shelter building
- Conservation activities and the leave no trace philosophy
- Naturalist skills, including plant identification, and animal tracks and signs
- How to safely and sustainably forage and prepare wild food
- Discovering new activities and games to create inspiring, engaging sessions
- Creation of appropriate session plans
- The confidence required to lead groups in a woodland environment
- Understanding the dynamic risk assessment requirements for leading woodland activity sessions
Wild things! will also provide guidance for our future woodland leaders on a variety of different resources and methodologies for creating and delivering the best possible outdoor learning sessions. All you need to bring is your enthusiasm, love of the outdoors, and a willingness to explore and discover new skills.
Woodland Activity Leader Training has been accredited by the NCFE. The course is benchmarked as a Level 2 Award, under Wild things! IIQ License.
This course is for anyone and everyone who wants to lead environmental education and outdoor learning sessions, or facilitate positive nature experiences for children, young people or adults. Whether this is as a parent, as an outdoor enthusiast or in a professional capacity. The following is a sample of professions some of our previous WALT graduates were employed in:
- Teaching Assistants
- Nursery Practitioners
- Social Workers
- Wildlife Guides
- Outdoor Instructors
- Adventure Activity Instructors
The course is structured over 48 guided learning hours with an additional 6 hours of home study. It is delivered in one of the following configurations:
- 1 x seven day block
- 2 x blocks: five days and two days
- 3 x blocks: of two-day weekends
Assessments are a combination of practical and written tasks. If you have any additional requirements to enable to fulfil either of these please Contact Us to discuss how we can best support you.
Wild things! provide all necessary equipment, tools, and learning resources.
Instruction and supervision is provided by our qualified and experienced Wild things! activity leaders. Maximum group size is 10 participants. Emergency Transport (4-wheel drive vehicle) is always available.
We have a selection of excellent venues for delivery of our Woodland Activity Leader Training courses this year:
- The Wild things! venue is the Findhorn Village Centre, where our office base is located in FIndhorn. The facilities are excellent, and we have access to the incredible woodlands at nearby Culbin Forest and Sanquhar Woods, for the practical sessions.
- The Ecology Centre is located at Kinghorn Loch in Fife, with wonderful on-site facilities and access to the wonderful natural environment at Kinghorn Loch and surrounding woodlands of the East Neuk of Fife. We are delivering a course in partnership with The Ecology Centre, combining our diverse range of knowledge and skills.
- Glenmore Lodge is the Scottish National Training Centre for outdoor activity courses, and is located near Aviemore in the heart of the Cairngorm Mountains. It has excellent classroom facilities, a restaurant, and access to the vast woodlands and wilderness of the Cairngorms.
- Findhorn Youth Hostel is in the heart of the stunning coastal village of Findhorn, where we are based. We have access to the entire hostel for our courses held here, and can provide dorm room and private room accommodation with courses held at the Hostel.
Our Woodland Activity Leader Training is from just £525 for the full course. The course fee includes tuition, assessment, registration fees, and all necessary materials. This fee does not include accommodation or any meals. We can supply a list of nearby accommodation for each venue if required.
Select your chosen course from the dates and options listed above and complete the online booking form and make payment to confirm your place.
Please feel free to Contact Us for additional information, or if you wish to pay a deposit to secure your booking.
Our basic course fee does not include any accommodation, though we can supply a list of nearby accommodation options for each of our venues on request.
Please Contact Us for additional information about this.
Kit List for All WALT Courses
- Waterproof Outer Layers
- Appropriate layers of warm and cool clothing for the changeable Scottish weather
- Walking boots/shoes for outdoor activities
- Any reference books you would like to share with the group
- A water bottle and/or flask
- A packed lunch and snacks
- Your love and enthusiasm for the outdoors!
- Outdoor sessions will be held in one of the wonderful nearby woodland areas. Breaks will be scattered throughout each day. Lunch is 45 minutes and we recommend bringing a packed lunch. If you would rather treat yourself to lunch there are several wonderful places to eat nearby: we can provide information on these if required.
“The course is value for money and meets the aims to prepare someone to lead a woodland group safely and with confidence.” Course Participant
“The course took me to new experiences, creatures, plants and skills I’ve never known but loved getting to know.” Course Participant