Our Woodland Activity Leader Training (WALT) is a unique alternative to Forest School which consolidates the most essential outdoor skills needed to lead your own exciting outdoor sessions. WALT empowers educators with the skills, knowledge and expertise to deliver inspiring environmental education, tailored to the needs of their students.
We believe that the best people to introduce environmental education and outdoor learning to their students are the teachers or activity leaders themselves. We know that there are many real and perceived barriers to getting students outdoors and we aim to address them all!
WALT is an in-depth, seven-day training course ideally suited to anyone interested in leading groups in an outdoor setting. Whether you’re an English or a Mathematics teacher, an environmental professional or an outdoor enthusiast, our WALT will enable you to take groups of all ages and abilities on exciting and educational outdoor adventures.
WALT covers a broad array of topics including:
Environmental education methodology – Gain insight into the many approaches to outdoor learning. Making sessions accessible for people of all abilities and developing session plans to meet diverse needs.
Health and safety – Risk assessment and group management in outdoor contexts, right of access and other legal considerations and responsibilities.
Tool use – Including the use of knives, saws, loppers and other cutting tools
Fire lighting – The principals of effective and safe fire lighting including making appropriate tinder, kindling and the use of flint and steel (fire starters)
Bushcraft – Wood carving, whittling, making shelters, setting up tarps, knot tying and making cordage using natural materials.
Naturalist knowledge – including tree and plant identification, animal tracks and signs and minibeasts
Environmental Education Games – includes a wide variety of games for a wide variety of abilities, ages, learning styles and learning objectives.
Conservation Activities – including how to leave natural environments in a better state than when you found them, leave-no-trace policies as well as conservation-crafts and activities such as making bird feeders, bird houses, bug hotels, tree planting and much more!
You will gain:
- A Level 2 qualification accredited by the NCFE, professionally recognised by the General Teaching Council of Scotland.
- Your first outdoor session plan, designed by yourself for use in your own context.
- Confidence to deliver inspiring outdoor session in safety.
- Naturalist skills that will help you bring the outdoors to life.
- A tool-box of environmental activities and games that will enable you to get outdoors with students straight away.
- Access to the on-going support of our instructors and fellow students, as well as useful resources to help you develop further session plans in the future.
Please check with us before booking, as courses are restricted and adapted due to current regulations.