Mental Health First Aid Essentials is a 2-day course designed to help participants better understand mental distress, ‘mental health problems’ and mental illness. It will resolve common misunderstandings and foster respectful, inclusive and supportive responses to those who are unwell or in distress.
The course aims to equip participants to provide appropriate help and information to a person who in unwell and/or in distress, to improve that person’s comfort and safety. Participants will be better able to help and encourage the person to link with other sources of support.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Explain and challenge stigma associated with mental distress and illness
- Distinguish between Mental Health, Mental illness and wellbeing
- Explain and use the Mental Health Continuum model
- Broadly describe and distinguish major ‘categories’ of mental illness
- Offer information about prevalence / incidence of more common types of mental illness
- Describe frequently observed symptoms and effects of more common types of mental illness
- Provide a respectful and helpful first response to discovery or disclosure of mental distress or illness
- Use observation and sensitive questions to identify and offer appropriate help, reassurance and possible referral options to the distressed individual
- Describe approaches to wellness and recovery
- Broadly describe local services and supports
This course is for anyone who may be working with people suffering from mental health concerns, including those that may be recovering from illness or addictions. Participants will learn how to better understand mental distress, ‘mental health problems’ and mental illness.
Mental Health First Aid is a great addition to the skill set for people working in professions, such as:
- Teaching Assistants
- Social Workers
- Outdoor Instructors
Wild things! provide all necessary learning resources.
Training for this course is provided by Martin Kirwan. Martin holds a BSc (Hons) in Psychology and Education a Certificate in Mental Health Studies, and has been facilitating adult learning for over 25 years. Maximum group size is 12 participants.
Mental Health First Aid is just £50 for the full 2-Day course. The course fee includes tuition and all necessary learning materials. This fee does not include accommodation or any meals. We can supply a list of nearby accommodation if required.
Select your chosen course from the dates and options listed above and complete the online booking form and make payment to confirm your place.
Please feel free to Contact Us for additional information, or if you wish to pay a deposit to secure your booking.